The "Postgraduate and Research Department of English" has rendered unparalled academic service to the academia in general for more than sixty seven years and still continues to serve the society by nourishing and helping realise the dreams of the students who walk into her portals. The Department of English, established in 1951, strives to provide an excellent academic environment to all students of this institution. The Department is widely recognised for its distinctive stamp of quality that has resulted from the invaluable services of the eminent faculty who helped in nurturing, inspiring and grooming responsible citizens for the future. The Department was elevated to a Rresearch Centre in the year 2006. Currently there are five Research guides in the Department and twenty research scholars pursuing PhD. The programmes offered by the Department are widely sought after, thus resulting in the opening up of undergraduate programme in English in the Self-Financing stream in 2015 after the College attained autonomy status.
1951: Department of English established
1963: Undergraduate courses in English
Rt Rev. Dr Jerome M. Fernandez (Bishop of Quilon), Dr Samuel Mathai (Vice Chancellor, KU) and Rev. Fr C.M. George (Principal, FMNC) at the inauguration of the Undergraduate courses in 1963.
The First outgoing Batch of BA English (1963-1966)
1965: Postgraduate courses in English
1999: Language Laboratory established
2006: Research Centre recognition
2015: BA English Language, Literature and Communication started in the Self-Financing stream
2017: Fatima School of Foreign Languages started
The Postgraduate and Research Department of English has a sanctioned teaching post of fifteen. Currently there are twelve permanent teachers and four guest lecturers - five Associate Professors, seven Assistant Professors and four Guest Lecturers.
Facilities of the Department
The Department has a spacious Staff room, five Class rooms, one Language Lab, a Media Room, Department Library, computers with internet connection, OHP, Laptops, Printers, Scanner, LCD Television, LCD Projector, Screen and other Audio Visual devices.
In sync with the times, the Department of English is well equipped with IT enabled devices. The Department has internet connected computers, laptop, printers, Scanner and Projector.
- The internet facility is made use of both by the teachers and the students of the department for their various academic and research activities.
- It facilitates easy access of research materials which are very useful for the postgraduate students while they work on their project dissertations.
- It helps the students to work in the department itself and have discussions with the teachers.
- It also provides a ready reckoner for the teachers in their preparation work.
- It helps the teachers update themselves on their areas of specialization.
- Being a Research Department, the research scholars are given provision to utilize the internet facility and have deliberations with their guides.
- Of late, the online attendance posting has ensured a fool proof way to track the attendance record of the students.
The Department Library has a modest collection of journals and books (fiction and non-fiction). The Faculty, the Research Scholars and the students of the department borrow the books after entering the name in the Library Register, maintained at the Department. The department copy of the Project Dissertations are stocked in the library so that the students can use it as refernce. CDs of movies which are prescribed for compulsory viewing and suggested viewing for Film Studies is stocked in the library. Apart from this, the taboids, manuscipt magazines, and newsletters prepared by the students are stocked in the library.
OUR CREED STATEMENT
With the traditional Wisdom of Yesterday
Using the Innovative Technology of Today
We aim to equip our students to face the Challenges of Tomorrow