The Department of chemistry was established in 1952 with BSc Chemistry course. The eminence who steered the department in the early years was late Prof K.C Papoo and late Prof C.K Mathew. BSc polymer chemistry course was started in1993 and MSc Chemistry in 1995. The DST-FIST supported department was recognized as a research Centre of University of Kerala in 2013.The vision of the department is to mould the students by providing quality education of global competence and value based growth so that they could become world class competitors and socially responsible citizens. The department has a ‘Chemistry Anthem’ which is a reminder of the team effort of the department.